Close this search box.

LARC: Language Assessment and Referral Centre

IWS provides English language assessments to permanent residents of Saskatchewan. The LARC program operates in Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert, Moose Jaw and Lloydminster.

This program is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

About the Program

  • You may take the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Test, which will assess your English proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
  • You will receive a Language Needs Assessment and Consultation that will help identify your next steps in improving your English language skills.
  • You will be referred to the federally funded free Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program. This program is offered across Saskatchewan.
  • The LINC program option you choose will depend on your language proficiency level, your place of residency, and your learning needs and preferences.
  • Interpretation and childcare support are also available during your appointment.

Please Note: IWS does not provide free assessments for academic enrollment in higher education institutions or for citizenship application.

Who Can Participate?

  • 18 years of age or older
  • Permanent Residents (Proof of Permanent Residence is required)
  • Newcomers approved as eligible to receive IRCC funded programs
  • Ukrainians who arrived via the CUAET program are eligible until March 31, 2025
  • Ready to begin attending classes at the time of assessment.

Common Questions About LARC

  • Improve your English language skills.
  • Once you complete the testing, we will refer you to free English language classes.
  • Use your LARC assessment report as proof of language proficiency when applying for jobs.
  • Within two weeks of arriving in Canada or as soon as you are rested from your journey.
  • Contact us to book an appointment as soon as possible.
  • One of the following immigration documents to confirm your Permanent Resident status in Canada:
    • Confirmation of PR (CoPR), otherwise called “Landing paper”
    • PR Card
    • Notice of Decision on your refugee claim (issued by the Refugee Board of Canada.)
    • If you came to Canada with a CUAET visa, please have the Work Permit document with you
  • Once we validate your documents and register you, you may take the language test.
  • You will receive your assessment report and we will explain your results.
  • We will help you choose the right language class for you.
  • We will provide the information you need to register for language classes.
  • Contact the agency we refer you to for classes and register.
  • Please contact us if you need help to register.