Close this search box.

Provincial Settlement Services

The Provincial Settlement Services provides personalized settlement support tailored to your specific needs.

This program is offered in Saskatoon and Regina and towns within a 150 km radius of these cities.

These services are funded by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Immigration and Career Training.

About the Program

There are two components to this program:

  • Tier 1 services: General Information & Referrals: You will receive general information and referrals to settlement services, language training, public services, and community resources. For example:
    • How to obtain a driver’s license and/or SIN
    • How to apply for a health card
    • How to apply for Child Tax Benefits
    • Information on housing, education, health, recreation and shopping for food and clothing
    • Referrals to other community programs and resources
  • Tier 2 services: Settlement Advising and Case Management Support: You will meet with a Settlement Resource Advisor (SRA) who will work with you to create your own customized settlement action plan to address your unique settlement needs.
  • The SRA will also provide you with referral services, and case management support that includes assistance in applying for a SIN number, getting a health card, writing resumes and cover letters, preparing for interviews, and helping with job applications.
  • You will receive a settlement action plan with detailed steps you can take to achieve your individual goals and needs.

Please Note: IWS does not provide free assessments for academic enrollment in higher education institutions or for citizenship application

Who Can Participate?

  • Temporary Residents of Canada, i.e. Open/Closed work permit holder, Student visa holder with permission to work in Canada, Refugee Claimant with work permit (Proof of Temporary Residence is required)
  • Recent Canadian citizens who arrived in Saskatchewan less than 5 years ago
  • 18 years of age or older

Common Questions About Provincial Settlement Services

  • Receive personalized settlement support, including a settlement action plan tailored to your needs in order to help minimize confusion and stress during settlement.
  • As soon as possible after arriving in Canada or as soon as you are rested from your journey.
  • Contact us to make an appointment.
  • We also provide online services to people who currently reside outside of Saskatchewan and abroad.
  • Immigration documents to confirm your immigration status. For example:
    • Open Work Permit Document
    • Closed Work Permit Document
    • Student visa with permission to work in Canada
    • Canadian citizenship certificate or passport
  • 6-digit ICT number issued by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Immigration and Career Training (ICT). This number confirms you are a resident of Saskatchewan and are eligible to receive free provincially funded newcomer assistance services. If you do not have an ICT number, bring your SIN number and we will help you contact ICT to obtain the number.
  • Once we validate your documents, you will meet with your case worker who will work with you to identify and discuss your needs in areas such as immediate needs in education, employment, health, housing and more.
  • Your appointment will last 1 to 1.5 hours. Please ensure you are prepared to stay for the full duration of your appointment.
  • We will create and email you a personalized settlement action plan tailored to your specific goals and needs. The plan will outline the steps you need to take to achieve your settlement goals and access to resources and referrals to other programs and services and programs that will help you address your needs.