Close this search box.

Provincial CLBPT Language Assessments

IWS provide English language assessments to eligible Temporary Residents and Canadian citizens in Saskatchewan. The CLBPT program operates in Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert, Moose Jaw and Lloydminster and is funded by the Ministry of Immigration and Career Training (ICT) of Saskatchewan. There is no charge for services provided at IWS.

These services are funded by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Immigration and Career Training.

About the Program

  • You will take the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Test, which will assess your English proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
  • You will receive a Language Needs Assessment and Consultation that will help identify your next steps in improving your English language skills.
  • You will be referred to the provincially funded free Stage or English for Employment (E4E) language programs offered across Saskatchewan.
  • The program option you choose will depend on your language proficiency level, your place of residency, and your learning needs and preferences.

Please Note:IWS does not provide free assessments for academic enrollment in higher education institutions or for citizenship or permanent residence applications

Who Can Participate?

  • Temporary Residents of Canada, i.e. Open/Closed work permit holder, Student visa holder with permission to work in Canada, Refugee Claimant with work permit (Proof of Temporary Residence is required)
  • Work Permit or Study Permit holders must have their permit valid for at least 2 months from the date of assessment
  • Recent Canadian citizens who arrived in Canada less than 8 years ago
  • 18 years of age or older
  • Ready to begin attending classes at the time of assessment

Common Questions About Provincial CLBPT Language Assessments

  • Improve your English language skills.
  • Once you complete testing, we will refer you to other free English language classes like “Stage” and “English for Employment (E4E).”
  • Use your assessment report as proof of language proficiency when applying for jobs.
  • Within two weeks of arriving in Canada or as soon as you are rested from your journey.
  • Immigration documents to confirm your Temporary Resident status in Canada. For example:
    • Open Work Permit Document
    • Closed Work Permit Document
    • Student visa with permission to work in Canada
    • Canadian citizenship certificate or passport
  • 6-digit ICT number issued by the Saskatchewan Ministry of Immigration and Career Training (ICT). This number confirms you are a resident of Saskatchewan and are eligible to receive free provincially funded newcomer assistance services. If you do not have an ICT number, bring your SIN number and we will help you contact ICT to obtain the number.
  • You will not be allowed to complete the test without having an ICT number.
  • Once we validate your documents and register you, you may take the language test.
  • You will receive your assessment report and we will explain your results.
  • We will help you choose the right language class for you.
  • We will provide the information you need to register for additional language classes.
  • If you do not have an ICT number, bring your SIN number and we will help you contact ICT to obtain the number.
  • Contact the agency we refer you to for classes, and register.
  • Please contact us if you need help to register.